Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunday Steak Fajitas

I've been on a homemade kick lately, so I figured I shouldn't stop at Mexican food. I looked up a recipe for homemade tortillas and tried it out. It wasn't quite as hard as I had thought, but they weren't quite as good as I was hoping, either. I think it needed more fat. When I lived in Provo, I always bought fresh tortillas at Costco and I remember that they were made with Canola oil. (And now I miss them so much, so if you live where you can get fresh, uncooked tortillas for cheap, don't take them for granted!) So with this recipe, I would suggest experimenting with a little Canola oil if the dough is dry, instead of adding water like I did. That's my only disappointment, though.

Steak Fajitas
serves 4

For the steak:

1 lb flank steak
salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1/2 a lime
  • Pat the steak dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. In a medium-hot skillet, cook the steak on both sides to desired done-ness. Take off pan and sprinkle lime juice over the top and let rest. Cut at a diagnal against the grain once rested.
For the onions and bell peppers:

1/2 large red onion, sliced thin
2 red bell peppers, sliced thin
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 t ground cumin
1/4 t chili powder
vegetable oil
  • Bring a large skillet to medium high heat with vegetable oil. Place onions and peppers in the pan, season with salt and pepper and spices, and cook until vegetables are softened and slightly browned and caramelized. Serve while hot.
Homemade flour tortillas:
(makes 8 tortillas)

2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 T vegetable shortening
1/2 C water
  1. Mix ingredients well until combined. (If it looks dry, add a little canola oil at a time until the dough forms a nice, smooth ball. But don't over-mix) Let rest for 10 minutes.
  2. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Let rest another 10-15 minutes.
  3. Cut the douhg into 8 even pieces and form into little balls. Pat flat and roll out into 9-10 inch circles with a rolling pin. Make sure to continuously coat rolling pin with a little flour or the dough will stick to the pin after just a couple uses.
  4. Heat a large skillet to Medium-high heat. Once hot, place tortilla on the skillet and as soon as little bubbles start to form and it gets a little color on the bottom, flip it over and cook the other side briefly. Transfer to a plate, covered with foil. Serve warm.

No comments: