Saturday, May 17, 2008

Saturday Brunch 2

It's become kind of a favorite family tradition I'm starting with the Saturday brunch thing. This week I was watching Rachael Ray (I know, I know, don't judge me! I get bored right around 3 pm) and she made individual quiches. I've made it before on my own, but she used puff pastry instead of pie crust, which I thought was a great idea! And since I had puff pastry in my freezer, I decided to give it a try. And since quiche can be pretty heavy, I decided to make a couple adjustments (to cut back on the heavy cream) and it actually worked out pretty well. And I served it with a nice yogurt fruit salad on the side. It was perfect.

Puff Pastry Quiche
makes 9 quiche
1 sheet puff pastry dough, thawed
3 eggs
1 C 1% milk (or whatever milk you have)
2 T light sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
4 pieces bacon, cooked crispy and broken into little pieces
1/2 C mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 T finely grated Parmiggiano Reggiano cheese
3 T parsely, chopped fine
  1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large measuring cup, mix eggs and sour cream until smooth, add milk and salt and pepper. Set aside.
  2. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray. Roll out the puff pastry and cut into 9 equal squares and gently place them into the muffin pan.
  3. Place equal amounts of cheese, bacon, and parsley into each pastry. Pour in the egg mixture into each pastry, fold over corners and bake for 25 minutes or until eggs are cooked through and pastry is puffed and golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using a toothpick, loosen the sides and serve warm.

No comments: