Fresh Lemon Tuna Pasta
2 handfuls spinach
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
extra virgin olive oil
1 small can tuna, drained
1 medium sized onion, diced small
3-5 (depending on preference) cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 can diced tomatoes (I used petite diced here)
1/2 lb long pasta (I used spaghetti)
handful of parsley, chopped fine
parmiggiano reggiano or pecorino romano cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt and boil pasta according to directions to al dente. Reserve a little bit of pasta water and drain. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add tuna, salt and pepper, juice of 1/2 a lemon, and about 1 T olive oil and mix lightly to combine. This is take out a lot of the fishiness in the tuna.
- In a frying pan with high sides bring a little bit of vegetable oil to medium high heat and add onion and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant, but not browning.
- Add spinach and when it starts to wilt, add tomatoes and tuna mixture. Warm through.
- Take off the heat and add lemon zest, left over lemon juice, parsley, and finely grated cheese, and a coupel swirls of extra virgin olive oil, and toss until well distributed. Serve with crusty bread:)