Best Blueberry Streusel Muffins from Cook's Country Magazine
1-1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/3 C packed dark brown sugar
1/3 C granulated sugar
1/2 t ground cinnamon
7 T butter, melted
4 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus extra for preparing the muffin tin
1 large egg
2 C all-purpose flour, plus extra for preparing the muffin tin
1 t vanilla extract
1 C granulated sugar
1 t grated lemon zest
1/2 C buttermilk
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1-1/2 C frozen blueberries*
* don't take the blueberries out of the freezer until the very last second, otherwise it'll streak your batter too much
- For the streusel: Combine flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Drizzle with melted butter and toss with a fork until evenly moistened and mixture forms large chunks with some pea-sized pieces throughout.
- For the muffins: Preheat oven to 375°. Grease and flour 12-C muffin pan. Whisk egg in a medium bowl until plae and evenly combined, aout 30 seconds. Add vanilla, sugar, zest and whisk vigorously until thick, about 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in melted butter, add buttermilk and whisk until combined.
- Reserve 1 T flour. In a seperate bowl, whisk remaining flour, baking powder, and salt. Forl in egg mixture until nearly combined. Toss blueberries with reserved flour and fold into batter until just combined.
- Divide batter in muffin pan and top with streusel. Bake until light golden brown and toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out with few dry crumbs attached, 23~27 minutes. Cool muffins in tin for 20 minutes.