Thursday, August 7, 2008

Day 7

Wow, so I've made it through a full week of this daily documenting. 3 more weeks to go!

Tonight, Blake asked for something "American" and I realized I don't really know what that is ... I don't cook American very much, so this was a good test for me. I was watching Martha Stewart this week and she made a Turkey Meatloaf and I thought "there's nothing more American than meatloaf, right?" So I decided to give it a try. I've never made meatloaf before, to be honest, so it was a challenge. I didn't have ground turkey, but I did have ground chicken, and I didn't have 3 lbs of it, so I made a free-form small one. And I didn't have sage, so I used the only dried herb blend that I like to use, herbes de provence. I think it turned out pretty well, actually.

As a wedding gift, Blake bought me The Bride & Groom First & Forever Cookbook and I found a really good roasted potato recipe. The potatoes turn out so crispy and tasty!

And then on the side I roasted some red bell peppers and some broccoli again. I baked some home made bread to complete my American meal. I think it turned out pretty well!

Chicken Meatloaf:
1 lb ground chicken
1/3 C panko breadcrumbs
1/4 C milk
1 small onion chopped fine
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 T chopped fresh parlsey
1/2 t herbes de provence
3 T ketchup
1 T dijon mustard
1 large egg, lightly beaten
salt and pepper
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°
  2. In a small bowl, soak the panko in the milk. Stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes until the milk is fully absorbed.
  3. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and loosely form into a loaf. Place on a small cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the center is fully cooked through.
Roasted Potatoes:
1~2 large Russet potatoes (about 1 lb total), peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 T butter
1 T vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
  1. Preheat over to 375°. In a large baking dish, put butter and oil and place in the oven until butter is bubbling.
  2. Place potatoes in butter-oil mixture and toss until potatoes are coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss again. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until potatoes are browned and crispy and cooked through. Serve hot.

No comments: