Friday, August 15, 2008

Day 15

I had to cut back on my budget this week, but I didn't want to sacrifice taste, so I searched my cookbooks and I'm pretty impressed with my menu for the week. Tonight we started with a Martha Stewart everyday food recipe for Potato and Onion Frittata (and don't worry, Celeste, she didn't say "frit-ha-t-ha"! What a miracle!). Frittata is a sort of Italian rustic omelet. You can serve it for any meal of the day, really. I added bacon and Pecorino Romano cheese and I served it with a simple green salad. I also don't like rosemary that much, so I replaced that with my favorite herbes de provence. And I don't like to waste eggs so I used 10 whole eggs instead of 5 whole eggs and 5 egg whites. I thought it was a great cheap, hearty, and tasty dinner.

Oh, and make sure you use an oven-proof skillet!

Frittata
serves 4
olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 russet potato (about 8~12 oz) peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 t herbes de provence
salt & pepper
10 eggs
1/2 C flat leaf parsley, chopped coarse
1/4 C grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
4 slices bacon, cut into little pieces
  1. In a medium (10-inch) non-stick skillet, heat 1 T oil over medium heat. Add onion, potatoes, and herbes de provence. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
  2. Cover the skillet and let the onions and potatoes cook through, about 5 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, parsley, 3/4 t salt and 1/4 t pepper. Place the bacon pieces on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 3 minutes or until bacon is cooked through but not yet crispy.
  4. Heat the broiler. Add another tablespoon of oil to the potatoes and onions. Turn the heat down to low and add the bacon and eggs. Periodically pull the edges of the eggs into the middle and cook until the middle looks set, about 10 minutes.
  5. When ready to put into the oven, sprinkle cheese on top and place under the broiler. Cook until top is set and lighty golden and cheese is bubbly. Run a clean silicone spatula around the edges to loosen the frittata and slide onto a serving plate and cut into wedges.
p.s. don't forget to use an oven mitt to take the skillet out of the oven and after. I almost burned my hand when I picked it up again ... oops!

No comments: