Friday, August 1, 2008

Day 1

As I promised Rebekah, I am accepting her challenge and attempting to do a month of recipes. So we started out August with a pretty typical Japanese dish. We finally got a membership at Sam's Club today (I miss Costco ... but they don't them here! grrr ...), and thankfully they had Salmon fillets.

My neighbor has a mini farm, as I mentioned previously, I think, and we picked some cucumbers so I made a simple cucumber salad with Japanese ginger dressing on the side. And of course it was all served with a bowl of rice and miso soup. (I know, the cucumbers look a little yellow. Don't ask me why. They tasted normal, though)

Japanese Salmon
serves 2
2 medium skinless, frozen Salmon fillets, thawed completely in cool water
3 T soy sauce
1 T sugar
2 T mirin
1/4 C dashi (Japanese fish & seaweed stock)
oil for cooking
  1. In a small bowl, combine the dashi, soy sauce, mirin, and sugar, until sugar is dissolved.
  2. In a small pan, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Place the Salmon on the pan and sear both sides, about 30 seconds on each side.
  3. Pour the soy sauce mixture on top of the salmon and let simmer. Flip the salmon over to make sure it is getting coated on both sides. Cook until sauce thickens a little. Serve warm with rice, a light salad, and

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

score! i'm so excited by this, i can't even tell you. lillian, you have such an amazing gift with food, and it really is a gift. i could not pull off such a simple meal and make it look that fantastic and filling and exciting.