Sunday, August 10, 2008

Day 10

I was determined to make a special dinner for Sunday Dinner this week, but I'm still trying to lose my baby weight, so I wanted to do something hearty but healthy. So I dove into the "light" section of my "The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook" to see if there was anything worth cooking. Since I was planning on making a bunch of chicken dishes this week, I thought Chicken Parmesan sounded good. And it was fairly simple and The people of America's Test Kitchen never make gross food, so i knew this would be worth it. And oh my gosh it sure was! I cut a couple of corners to make it go by faster, so this isn't the exact recipe from the book. But it was still amazing!

I served it with a side of Barilla's Penne Plus tossed with the same sauce I put on top of the chicken and it was perfect and light but hearty and healthy. I loved it! And Blake even said this was one of his new favorites. Woo hoo!

Light Chicken Parmesan
Serves 4
1-1/2 C panko
1 C grated Pecorino Romano Cheese (of course the recipe calls for Parmesan since this is Chicken Parmesan ... but Pecorino Romano is a wonderful substitute that we use A LOT in our home)
1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 t garlic powder
salt and pepper
2 large eggs
2 large chicken breasts, cut into thin cutlets
2 C simple tomato sauce (I just used my creamy tomato sauce without the cream)
1/4 C grated mozzarella cheese
  1. Heat the oven to 475°. Combine breadcrumbs and Pecorino Romano cheese in a dish. In a separate dish, combine flour, 1 T sat, 1/2 t pepper, and garlic powder. In a third dish, lightly beat the eggs.
  2. Pat the chicken cutlets dry and coat with flour and then egg, making sure to remove excess. Then coat generously with breadcrumb mixture. Place all 4 cutlets on a wire rack on top of a lined cookie sheet. Place in the oven for 15~25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the coating is browned.
  3. Pull out of the oven and top with tomato sauce and cheese and put back in the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and browned. Serve while hot.

No comments: