Wednesday, July 30, 2008

An All-American Favorite Variation

In Cook's Country magazine, they had a page on boosting flavors inside the burger patty instead of using toppings. They had an Italian one with sweet Italian sausage mixed in with the beef and Parmesan cheese, basil and parsley. When I was at Target I saw that Chorizo was on sale, so I decided to try to do something similar but Mexican. And it was tasty! Thanks to Blake who mixed it all up for me while I fed the baby:)

Mexican Burgers
makes 6 fatty patties

1 lb lean ground sirloin
3 raw chorizo sausage links, casings removed
1 large handful cilantro, chopped fine
1/2 C monterey jack cheese, shredded
4 t taco seasoning
4 t chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
  1. Mix ingredients in a large bowl until fully encorporated.
  2. Separate into 6 equal portions. Mold into round patties and indent the middle to avoid having a swollen patty.
  3. Cook to well done. Serve with shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, salsa, fresh cilantro, avocados, or other toppings to your liking.
And I put it on a whole wheat sandwich roll to make me feel deceptively better about the whole thing ...

No comments: