Thursday, July 17, 2008

My Own Take On a Classic

I've always loved the tangy but rich flavors in Shrimp Scampi, so I finally decided to make it one day. It turned out great and I loved it! The second time I made it I realized I didn't have parsley, only cilantro, and I really like shrimp with cilantro, so I decided to take my chances and substitute. And it was definitely a success! And since Blake loves cilantro so much, I always make it this way now. You have to try it!

Shrimp Scampi with Linguini
serves 4-6
1 lb linguini
1 lb shrimp, de-veined
1 big handful parsley, chopped fine
1 big handful cilantro, chopped fine
1~2 T dry white wine
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon
3~4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 T crushed red pepper flakes
2 T olive oil, plus some to toss pasta at the end
salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese to serve
  1. Boil the pasta with salt to al dente. About 8 minutes. Reserve about 1/2 C pasta water.
  2. In a separate deep pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant and red pepper flakes are incorporated into the oil, about 5 minutes.
  3. Pat the Shrimp dry and season with salt and pepper lightly on both sides. Place the shrimp into the pan and flip over as soon as it turns a slight pink. Don't overcook.
  4. Add the white wine and let it evaporate a little. Add pasta and toss to coat. Add lemon juice, zest, and herbs and continue to toss until it's all evenly coated. Add reserved pasta water if needed.
  5. Serve while warm and serve with Parmesan Cheese and small sprigs of parsley on top.

No comments: