Sunday, July 6, 2008

Returning the Favor

We got a lot of help from church the first week we were home from the hospital, and I didn't have to cook at all until Friday, I think. (Thanks to Ward members and my amazing sister!) So, I thought it would only be fair to return the serving plates that people brought food in with some treats. I didn't have enough chocolate chips for chocolate chip cookies, and I made them yesterday for a ward party. And Lisa had some left over chocolate ganache frosting that I wanted to use up, so I decided to make Chocolate sandwich cookies. I used the rest of the chocolate chips I had (very few, maybe 1/4 C) and it turned out perfect! And they were sooooo rich, even I could only have 1. So here is my adaptation of the Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, altered to be a "Death by Chocolate Cookie", as so appropriately titled by Blake.

Death by Chocolate Cookies
makes about 32 individual cookies, or 16 cookie sandwiches
2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C Dutch-processed Cocoa
2 eggs
1/2 C butter, room temperature
3/4 C brown sugar
3/4 white granulated sugar
2 t vanilla extract
1/4~1/2 C chocolate chips
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
  1. Preheat oven to 375°
  2. Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla together. Add eggs and mix until combined.
  3. In a seperate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
  4. Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients until combined. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
  5. Spoon about 2 t of dough for each cookie onto a baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes. let cool completely.
*If you want cookie sandwiches, add chocolate ganache in between 2 cookies and serve. If making ahead of time, make sure and keep in the refrigerator or ganache will melt.

No comments: