Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Monday Dinner

This is a Japanese "western food" classic. I grew up always wishing my mom would make it for dinner. I guess I'm kind of a sucker for anything with eggs:) I even went through a phase as a young teenager where I would make it for myself when I got home from school every day. And I think because of that time, I have mastered the omelet part of it. That's the tricky part. Japanese people have titled it オムライス "om-rice" or a combination of "omelet" and "rice". Yummy:)

オムライス "om-rice"
serves 4

8 eggs, beaten lightly

2 C cooked rice
1 large chicken breast, diced small
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced small
2-3 carrots, shredded
1/2 can of corn
3-4 T ketchup
vegetable oil
  1. In a large wok, heat oil on medium high heat. Cook onions and carrots until lightly browned. Add chicken and cook though. And add peppers.
  2. Once peppers are slightly softened, add rice and stir until rice clumps break up. Add ketchup and cook until rice turns a nice orangey-red color.
  3. In a medium frying pan, add oil and heat to medium/medium-high heat. Pour about 2 eggs portion into the pan and swirl around the pan to make a crepe shape. While eggs are still not quite set, place a small portion of rice in the middle of the egg in a long strip and loosen the egg from the pan. Using a rubber scraper, pull 2 sides of the "egg crepe" up around the rice. Flip onto a place. Top with ketchup and serve.

No comments: