Saturday, May 31, 2008

Saturday Brunch 4

Blake's favorite foods are anything with peanut butter, anything with caramel, and anything with blueberries. And he's been asking me for a long time to make blueberry muffins and I kept telling him to wait until Summer when I can get fresh ones. But then I found this recipe from Cook's Country Magazine that prefers frozen blueberries. And I had all the other ingredients, so I realized I had no excuse anymore. So for Saturday brunch this morning I made their "Best Blueberry Streusel Muffins", and I have to say, they are pretty much the best blueberry muffins I have ever had.

Best Blueberry Streusel Muffins from Cook's Country Magazine
makes 12
Streusel:

1-1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/3 C packed dark brown sugar
1/3 C granulated sugar
1/2 t ground cinnamon
pinch salt
7 T butter, melted

Muffins:

4 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus extra for preparing the muffin tin
1 large egg
2 C all-purpose flour, plus extra for preparing the muffin tin
1 t vanilla extract
1 C granulated sugar
1 t grated lemon zest
1/2 C buttermilk
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1-1/2 C frozen blueberries*

* don't take the blueberries out of the freezer until the very last second, otherwise it'll streak your batter too much
  1. For the streusel: Combine flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Drizzle with melted butter and toss with a fork until evenly moistened and mixture forms large chunks with some pea-sized pieces throughout.
  2. For the muffins: Preheat oven to 375°. Grease and flour 12-C muffin pan. Whisk egg in a medium bowl until plae and evenly combined, aout 30 seconds. Add vanilla, sugar, zest and whisk vigorously until thick, about 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in melted butter, add buttermilk and whisk until combined.
  3. Reserve 1 T flour. In a seperate bowl, whisk remaining flour, baking powder, and salt. Forl in egg mixture until nearly combined. Toss blueberries with reserved flour and fold into batter until just combined.
  4. Divide batter in muffin pan and top with streusel. Bake until light golden brown and toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out with few dry crumbs attached, 23~27 minutes. Cool muffins in tin for 20 minutes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So, I tried these today... and they seriously were soooo amazing. I think I added too much butter to the streusel (pregnant ladies can't count) So, it wasn't crumbly on top, but it was still oh so amazing. (just not as pretty).