Friday, May 30, 2008

I Finally got it!

So I don't mean to sound like an elitist, but I can never find frozen yogurt here in the U.S. that it quite like what I grew up with in Japan. In Japan, frozen yogurt tastes like ... yogurt. It's not a diet food, it's just another wonderful, creamy dessert to enjoy. Anyway, I've been on a quest to find a recipe for Japanese frozen yogurt or to find a store that sells it. But I've never succeeded. And since being pregnant, it's all I can think about! So finally I broke down and decided to create my own recipe from a combination of recipes I found online. I took out a lot of the sugar and didn't add vanilla and made sure to use decent quality whole-milk yogurt. I don't know yet how this recipe works with low-fat or fat-free yogurt, but I plan to try it sometime this weekend, so I will let you know. I know that the fat in the whole-milk yogurt keeps it from having an icy texture, but straining the yogurt might avoid that. We'll see:) If you have an ice cream maker, you MUST try this recipe. It'll change your world of frozen yogurt forever. Mmm.

Japanese Plain Frozen Yogurt

makes about 1 quart


1 quart plain whole milk yogurt
juice of 1/2 lime (because I've noticed that once frozen, food tastes a little more bland and it needs a tart punch if it's going to be good frozen yogurt)
4 T honey
3 T granulated sugar

Fresh fruit to serve with. (I used Strawberries this time, but I think peaches or orange segments or any berries would be really good.)
  1. In a fine mesh sieve sitting over a bowl, place cheesecloth or a coffee filter, and pour the yogurt into it. (I didn't have a big enough strainer and didn't buy big enough coffee filters, so I had to do it in 2 bowls). Let refrigerate and drain for at least 3 hours or overnight.
  2. Once drained, whisk in honey, sugar, and lime juice (to taste).
  3. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
  4. Immediately put frozen yogurt in an airtight container with plastic wrap touching the top surface. Freeze in the coldest part of your freezer for 4 hours (ish?).
  5. Serve with fresh fruit.

No comments: