Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A New Invention

I started bringing cookies every Wednesday for the youth in Blake's class. I guess they were having a hard time with making it a priority to come, so I thought I would try to bribe them with treats. And it worked! I don't think these boys have missed a week since I started this thing! And it's been a lot of fun for me to come up with treats to try out week after week (and not have to eat them all by myself!!!) Anyway, tonight I thought I would be creative and invent a cookie. One reason is because I love chocolate chip cookies with nuts and Blake thinks the texture of the nuts is a distraction. So to compromise, I added sesame seeds. They provided a really nice nuttiness without the distracting texture (which I think is just nice ... but people have their preferences;)). And I added a little whole wheat flour just to make me feel a little better about myself, and took out some or the butter and sugar. So in the end, this is an attempt at a healthy chocolate chip oatmeal cookie.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie
makes about 3 dozen cookies
2 C all-purpose flour
3/4 C butter (1-1/2 sticks)
2/3 C rolled oats
1/4 C whole wheat flour
1 t cinnamon
1 T toasted sesame seeds
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1/2 C light brown sugar
1/2 C granulated sugar
1 large eggs
1 T vanilla extract
2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 T milk or half-and-half
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine the flours, oats, cinnamon, sesame seeds, band baking soda.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer (with the paddle attachment), cream the butter, sugars, and vanilla. Add the eggs and mix until fluffy. About 30 seconds.
  3. With the mixer running on low speed, add the flour mixture. It might be a little stiff, so add the milk or half-and-half. The dough should be a big lump but still sticky.
  4. With a wooden spoon, fold in the chocolate chips.
  5. Drop by the tablespoon on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8~10 minutes, until lightly golden on the edges. Let cool for 10 minutes.
store in an airtight container.

No comments: