Sunday, June 8, 2008

Frozen Yogurt Improvement

So I thought I had it right last time, but this time it was even better! And less fat, even. So I am a happy girl today. I'm just scared I'm going to eat the whole container tonight ...

This time I used low fat yogurt. I tried this about a week ago with fat free yogurt from Target (Archer Farms) and I don't recommend this. I used Dannon again today, and it made SUCH a difference. I don't think it was the fat content, either. I really think it was the quality of the yogurt. So again I emphasize, use good quality yogurt. It's worth the extra money. The Archer Farms yogurt didn't drain and tasted slightly metallic for some reason. But the Dannon was very creamy and let go of probably a whole cup of water, which made the strained product SUPER thick and creamy. I also added cool whip this time because it occurred to me that cool whip is always availabe in the frozen food isle and is very fluffy even frozen. And this way I could avoid the icy texture that frozen yogurt gets after a little while. It worked out really well because it made the consistency nice and light, sweetened it a little for me, made it extra creamy without adding too much fat, and helped the yogurt to hold a soft texture even after being in the freezer for a while.

Low Fat Plain Frozen Yogurt
Makes about 1 quart
1 quart good quality low fat plain yogurt
1 C cool whip
juice of 1/2 a lemon
5 T granulated sugar

fresh fruit to serve
  1. In a fine mesh colander lined with 3 coffee filters (staggered to fill the whole colander) and resting over a bowl, place the yogurt and let it drain in the fridge for at least 4 hours. There should be about 3/4 to 1 C of water in the bottom of the bowl when you are finished. You can discard this excess water.
  2. Once the yogurt is drained, place the yogurt in a bowl, whisk the yogurt with the lemon juice and sugar until thoroughly combined. Fold in the cool whip.
  3. Prepare according to the ice cream machine manufacturer's directions.
  4. Place in an air tight container with plastic wrap or wax paper flush against the surface and freeze for 4 hours or so. Serve with fresh fruit.

No comments: