Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sunday Dinner for Everyone

On Sunday we had my friends Jason, Celeste, and her husband, Ben over for dinner. One of my favorite meals to make when I have a lot of people to feed is Spaghetti and Meatballs. It's cheap to make and makes A LOT of food. And it only takes about 30 minutes total cooking time. Keep in mind that this recipe probably could feed 10 people if you wanted it to, but I make it and freeze it, and eat it as left overs when I don't have time to make dinner on other nights. Really handy. So don't be surprised by the quantities.
Oh also, the picture is of the leftovers I ate the next day. They were still really good!

Spaghetti and Meatballs
2 lb spaghetti (or linguini is really good, too. That's what I used this time)
2-28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
1 medium sized onions, diced (I like it diced small, but it's up to your personal preference)
5 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped roughly
olive oil (to cook the onions and garlic)

1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
3/4 c. italian bread crumbs
2 L or XL eggs
1 small block of mozarella cheese, cut into small cubes that will fit inside the meatballs
  1. Cook onions in olive oil over medium heat until soft. Add garlic until fragrant and soft.
  2. Add crushed tomatoes and continue stirring.
  3. Mix meat, bread crumbs, and eggs ina seperate bowl with your hands. Make little meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter, make a hole in the middle, add a cube of cheese and seal up.
  4. Drop the meatballs into sauce and let cook for about 15 minutes until cooked through.
  5. In the mean time, boil pasta according to packaging directions, to al dente. Don't overboil!
  6. When the meatballs are cooked through and the pasta is done, take meatballs out of sauceand place in a seperate bowl. Put pasta in sauce and toss until the sauce it thorooughly incorporated on pasta.
  7. place in a large serving bowl, put meatballs on top and serve.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lisa Allen said...

That looks so yummy! The photo is amazing. I always make my spaghetti and meatballs with our creamy tomato sauce, but this is a nice lighter version. I'll definitely make it:) -Lisa