Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Makeover

Tonight I was visiting a friend who just had a baby, and I had to leave to work with the Youth at church early this evening, so it was a night for a really quick meal. So I grabbed some leftover creamy tomato sauce and added some chicken broth for the best creamy tomato soup ever. Then, I made a few simple little crostini panini, and it was complete.

Creamy Tomato Soup and Mini Cheddar Panini
Serves 2

1 C creamy tomato sauce
1~2 C low-sodium chicken broth

12 thin slices of day-old baguette
thin sliced sharp cheddar
  1. In a medium saucepan, heat the chicken broth and creamy tomato soup over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until warmed through. Add a couple tablespoons of heavy cream if needed.
  2. Sandwich the cheese in between the bread slices (don't worry about the holes, it makes for great crusty burnt cheese) and drizzle outsides of sandwiches with olive oil. Grill on a panini press or in a skillet until cheese is melted and bread is nicely browned.
  3. Serve soup with mini cheese panini on the side while hot.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I don't know if anyone has told you this today or not, but I'm pretty sure you are a genius. Creamy tomato soup out of tomato sauce? Brilliant!

Lillian said...

It was actually my sister's idea ... so I'm not the genius. But it is SO tasty, so you gotta try it!