Saturday, September 13, 2008

Super Dinner

Last night we had a get-together with some friends from church and we made pizza. I made the dough and sauce and each couple made their own pizza with whatever toppings they liked. There was a whole lot of extra sauce left over so I decided to use it for our dinner tonight. I added tuna and spinach to it, and tossed it with whole wheat spaghetti, which makes it my super heathy dinner. The sauce already had a ton of garlic in it, which is another super food, I think ... so I'd like to say I'm pretty proud of my dinner tonight. Whole wheat pasta isn't my favorite, but I still think it turned out really well. I think I would have preferred normal pasta or multi-grain, which has less of a distinct flavor to it.

Super-food Pasta
enough for 1 lb of pasta
1 lb whole wheat, multi-grain, or traditional spaghetti
2 C home made pizza sauce
3 big handfuls of baby spinach
1 can of solid white albacore tuna, drained
  1. Boil pasta short of al dente, about 8 minutes. Reserve some pasta water.
  2. In a skillet with high sides, combine the tuna, spinach, and sauce and heat on medium high heat. Stir to combine until spinach wilts. Set aside.
  3. Once sauce is heated through and toss the sauce with pasta (and add some pasta wter to loosen the sauce a little) and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until sauce thickens a little more. Serve hot with finely grated Parmesan cheese if you want.

No comments: