(serves about 6-8, depending on how much each person can eat:))
2 C milk (I recommend using fattier milk, though low-fat will be just fine. Not as rich or tasty)
1-2 heads of broccoli, cut small (I used 2 just because that's how much I had in the fridge and had to use it up. And it didn't feel like too much. But you might like to use less)
2 C grated cheddar cheese
12-16 oz good quality bacon
4 C bread, torn into big chunks. About 1 loaf of a baguette. I used a "flax seed" loaf and used about 3/4 of it. I think a crustier bread would be better, though
salt and pepper to taste
1 T Dijon mustard (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cut bacon into little squares and cook through until crispy. Meanwhile, tear bread and place into a greased 9x13 baking pan, making sure the bottom of the pan is covered with bread. Cut broccoli into little pieces and toss evenly on top.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, and salt and pepper (and Dijon mustard, if using)
- Once the bacon is cooked through, drained of excess grease, and slightly cooled, sprinkle evenly on top of the bread and broccoli.
- Sprinkle cheese generously on top and then pour the egg and milk mixture evenly over the ingredients.
- Bake at 350 for 60+ minutes. Once browned on top and cooked through, pull out of the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm-hot.