Friday, January 25, 2008

Banana Bread Improvement

Yes, it has been a long time since I've added, and I'm sorry I have no photo this time. But I discovered something about my banana bread recipe! If you roast the bananas first, then you only have to use 1/2 C brown sugar and 1/2 C white sugar for the whole recipe! It's amazing. This is how you do it:

325 degree oven.
Place bananas (still in the peel) on a cookie sheet and roast for about 20-25 minutes, or until skins are black
Let them cool a little and cut the ends of the peel. The flesh should just slide out. Place banana flesh in a large bowl. It'll be a little watery, so throw away some of the excess water if you want. It's a little gross looking, but it's really amazing, I promise!
Once you've peeled all the bananas, mash them up with a potato masher and add them to the recipe at the usual time. Remember to reduce the sugar to 1/2 C brown 1/2 C white.

This trick makes it way lower in sugar, and ultra moist. You won't believe it!

1 comment:

The Voice of Reason said...

The other day I tried a new, "gourmet" banana bread recipe. It called for lemon zest.... I should have known better! I don't care for ANYTHING that has bits of rind in it (marmalade, etc.). Poor choice - should have stuck to what I know I like - re: your recipe :) Hope the move went well!!