Sunday, January 10, 2010

party!

One of my best friends here is having a baby just a few days before me (so they might be born right around the same time!), and another couple of friends and I threw her a shower. I insisted on being in charge of the food because Lori (momma-to-be) is a classy girl and deserves classy shower food, and because I like a challenge. Why do I take on these huge tasks--especially when I'm super huge pregnant myself? Really because I love the girl I'm doing it for and because I LOVE food. But seriously, what was I thinking? I was so proud of myself because I had a REALLY strict schedule for the week, which I actually stuck to. And if it wasn't for that and the other 2 girls in charge of the shower who both came at different times to help me roll out tart crust dough or fill mini quiches or bake mini cupcakes with me, I don't think I would have survived.

And even if it was a LOT of baking (we turned our furnace down because our oven was keeping our little apartment plenty warm, even with our awfully non-insulated windows and below freezing temperatures outside), the end result made it all worth it for me. And the best part was that Lori seemed really happy. And that was my main goal.
mini lemon créme tarts

mini chocolate cupcakes with chocolate ganache frosting (my favorite, I think)

mini vanilla cupcakes with raspberry filling and lemon buttercream frosting (thanks for the idea, Lisa! They were Lori's #1 pick of the day)

mini chocolate ganache tarts

pb&j thumbprint cookies

chocolate caramel thumbprint cookies

and just a shot of some more mini vanilla cupcakes waiting to be served.

I also made my aunt Carolyn's amazing rolls, but mini sized (I love mini things for parties. perfect portion size and so cute!), with a roasted garlic&sage butter and cinnamon vanilla honey butter. Those were a hit, as usual, because Carolyn is a genius. And I also made my favorite baby/bridal shower food: mini quiche. I didn't get any good pictures of those, unfortunately, but I invented a couple of new flavors and it reminded me of how much I love quiche. They're so delicate and fancy and SO versatile. I served my usual Italian take on a quiche lorraine, and then a broccoli ham & cheddar, and my absolute favorite and now a staple quiche in my repertoire: spinach and caramelized onion. Seriously, you have to try it. Put some tangy hard Italian cheese like Pecorino Romano or Asiago or Parmiggiano Reggiano on top of the caramelized onion and finely chopped fresh spinach, and it's killer good. And really not that complicated.

Congratulations, Lori! Can't wait to meet your baby girl!

6 comments:

Lisa Allen said...

All of it looks amazing! Although I'm disappointed that you didn't post any of your quiches. I don't know Lori, but I wish I could have been there for that yummy food!

Carolyn Black said...

You are an AWESOME cook! I only wish I lived closer so that I could have helped out. You need to post all of your wonderful recipes. They sound delicious. Lisa made the Lemon Raspberry ones for the shower we threw Eliza. They are SO yummy! I also love little individual, mini things, not only do they look so cute, you can eat lots and fool yourself that you aren't eating much. Thanks for sharing! God bless you in these next few weeks.

Celeste said...

I love that you ended that post, "And really not that complicated." ...right.

It all looks so divine (and ridiculously time consuming, wow). What a great friend! I'm sure Lori felt so special.

Kerstin said...

The food was so delicious and pretty, it makes me drool a little just thinking about it!

Katie said...

This looks amazing. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you should cater. Or start a restaurant. Or just send your food to me. I will accept any or all of the above.

Melissa said...

You must love your friend a lot. The food you made looks STUNNING and delicious. I'm so jealous.

Do you have a recipe for the chocolate ganache frosting?