Serve it with some plain yogurt and fresh fruit and you have a dreamy breakfast. (And if you have as much of a sweet tooth as my sweetie, drizzle with a little honey. Though it definitely does not need it) Best breakfast ever, in fact. Well, it's up there with a few other things, maybe.
makes about 7 (-ish) cups
3/4 C wheat germ or 1/2 C ground flax seeds
1-1/2 ~2 C nuts (I used chopped hazelnuts, halved pecans, and whole almonds--my favorites)
1 C flaked (shredded is fine, too) unsweetened coconut (sweetened is fine, but will obviously turn out a lot sweeter)
1/2 C light brown sugar
1/4 C honey
1/4 C canola oil (or if you're ok with a little fruity flavor, go extra virgin olive oil! It bakes up really mild and SO tasty!)
1 T pure vanilla extract
1/4 t salt
1/4 t cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a small pot, heat oil and honey until smooth and honey is thin. Stir in vanilla and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ (or flaxseeds), nuts, coconut, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Pour the honey/oil/vanilla mixture over the oat mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread all ingredients onto a rimmed baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 30~35 minutes, until fragrant and lightly browned, tossing once or twice during baking. Let cool completely, then store in an airtight container.
- Serve with yogurt, milk, fresh or dried fruit and some extra honey.