Wednesday, January 7, 2009

unique cookies

For Christmas, I got this amazing cookie book from my brother and sister-in-law in Japan. I've been wanting new inspiration for new cookies for my etsy shop, and I have found it! This book is incredible, and I find myself studying it everyday. And I really mean STUDY. (If only I could have had this kind of focus in college ...) The only challenge has been having to weigh everything in grams instead of using measuring cups, but I bought a gram/ounce kitchen scale at my favorite place, IKEA, so I've converted a couple recipes. And just the design of the book is gorgeous ... Ah, I love Japan.

Thanks so much Kory & Yukari!
This was my favorite idea so far. I thought it was so unique and beautiful and oh my gosh delicious! You can find black sesame seeds at any Asian food store (or here) But you can also use white sesame seeds (make sure and toast them if they aren't already), which you can find pretty much anywhere. I found raw ones for really cheap at Sam's Club.

black sesame butter cookies
makes about 2~2.5 dozen(I've converted the measurements for you)
3/4 C unsalted butter (1.5 sticks), softenened
1/2 C brown sugar
1 egg
2 C all-purpose flour
1 t baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 C +1 T black sesame seeds
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides periodically. Add the egg and mix until light in color and thoroughly combined.
  3. Turn the mixing speed to low and slowly add dry ingredients. Mix until combined. This is a sticky dough, so don't think you need to add more flour.
  4. Add the black sesame seeds, and mix with a wooden spoon.
  5. Take about 1 T of dough and roll into a ball in your hands. Place on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet and press down with 3 fingers until they are about 1.5 inches in diameter. Sprinkle with a few more black sesame seeds, and press them in. (the sesame seeds get buried in the dough a little, so I think it looks better to add just a few on top)
  6. Bake at 350° F for 12~14 minutes. Keep an eye on the cookies to make sure they don't brown too much. You want a very light color on them.
and p.s. I've only eaten 2, for those of you who are concerned about my New Year's resolution and want to point out my speedy failure:)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey Lillian! It's Amanda Porter (used to be Barnett) from Gresham! I've been checking out your food blog for a while and I'm totally impressed! These cookies look so good, I think I might need to order some. :) We've got a website that you check out. It's porterhouserock.net I hope everything's going well for you and it's a little late, but congrats on your cute little Ella!

Katie said...

Those look amazing. I think I'm going to have to try my hand at them.

Yukari said...

この本、気に入ってもらえてよかった!著者はNYに行ってお菓子作りの勉強をして表参道にマフィンとクッキーのお店を出してるんだって。リサのところにはマフィンの本を贈りました。おいしかったら教えてね。本当は自分の為に買おうかすっごく迷っててまだ買ってないの。