Monday, March 15, 2010

i guess it's pasta week

I've been really in the mood for pasta this week.  Which explains why we've had some form of it for 3 nights in a row, and I'm still planning a couple more for the next couple of days.  I guess that's the beauty of pasta, though.  You can have it all week and never get sick of it because there's such a beautiful variety of ways to eat it.  So tonight, I did a little spin on one of my favorites.  And it was a hit!  Though I do think it tastes better with cherry or grape tomatoes.  Much more bright flavor and slightly less juicy.  Either way it was amazing!  I added chopped spinach because I've been on a spinach kick lately, and because I'm still postpartum and on iron pills.  Thought I'd sneak in some natural iron into my diet where I can:)  I served it alongside a simple green salad with toasted nuts (pecans and hazelnuts), pecorino romano cheese, parsley, super thin sliced onions (soaked in water to remove the harsh raw onion flavor), tomatoes, and cucumber.  Oh, and of course some homemade bread.  It was nice to have an array of fresh food to eat.  I can't wait until Summer!
7~8 campari tomatoes, cut in half and then quartered
1 large bunch of parsley, chopped fine

1/4 C fresh basil, sliced into a chiffonade
2 T finely chopped fresh spinach
1-1/2 C parmesan cheese (I used pecorino Romano), grated

1 shallot, minced super fine
4 cloves of garlic, grated or minced fine
1/3 C olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 lb thin spaghetti

  1. In a large bowl, combine the oil, salt and pepper, parsley, basil, spinach, tomatoes, and garlic, shallot, and red pepper flakes. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 2~4 hours.
  2. When ready to eat, boil pasta to al dente. Make sure and reserve a little bit of pasta water.
  3. Meanwhile, grate parmesan cheese and put in the bowl with the tomato mixture and toss to coat.
  4. Once pasta is done, place in the bowl with tomatoes and combine. Add a little pasta water to loosen the sauce if needed.
  5. Serve with extra cheese and crusty bread.

No comments: