Saturday, September 5, 2009

my lazy panzanella

I feel like these tomatoes (and Blake cleaning the kitchen for me) have reawakened my love for food. I've been in the kitchen all day today. I made homemade granola bars and soup and for breakfast we had pancakes and eggs and hashbrowns. Love love love! But my favorite was what I had for dinner. We were over at our daughter's friend's 1st birthday party until just about dinner time, so we rushed home, full of cake and ice cream, and I had to think of something quick. So I made a lazy panzanella. And I am so in love! Ahhhh, I wish I could eat tomatoes like this year round.

Ok, I know I sound like a broken record here, but if you think you don't like raw onions, you don't know what you're missing. You need to soak them. Slice them super thin, and soak them in water for a good 30 minutes, changing the water once or twice. This salad is not as good without that juicy crunch of the onions, but they'll be overpowering and not as enjoyable if you don't soak them. So please, my friends, SOAK!

And basically, I just used my tomato and onion recipe that I posted yesterday, and added about a cup of cubed day-old bread. Toasted cubed bread would be better, of course, but I wanted something super duper quick. And it was divine. You might think I'm crazy for adding stale bread to my salad, but you have to try it. It's a beautiful thing those genius Italians came up with. Genius.

3 comments:

Bryson Mortensen said...

That looks so good! Did you know (from my "vast" italian knowledge) the the idea to use day old bread comes from Tuscany? It was one of the poorer regions of Italy, so they came up with all sorts of ways to stretch their food. (Like adding chicken broth instead of actual chicken to a pasta sauce to give it the "sense" of having meat without using any).

Lillian said...

That's kind of what I assumed, so it makes me feel cool that I guessed right! Thanks, Bryson! Seriously, feel free to add all of your Italian knowledge on my blog whenever you want. It's so nice to have a friend that lived there for a while. Congrats on getting married, by the way:)

Unknown said...

I just made this. So good! It's all about the bread! yummmy