Thursday, July 9, 2009

a new cookie

The other day I was looking through etsy and I found this one seller selling cookies with dried blueberries in them. That got me thinking ... and I had to try combining the glorious flavors of blueberry, cinnamon, and lemon together in a cookie! And they turned out great. I thought an oatmeal cookie base would work well with that flavor combination. I think it's a great Summer alternative to the oatmeal chocolate chip, though I do think I like the chocolate better:)

Summer Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies
makes about 2 dozen
2 C flour
3/4 C butter
2/3 C oats
1/4 C whole wheat flour
1 t cinnamon
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1/2 C light brown sugar
1/2 C granulated sugar
1 T egg
1 T vanilla extract
1 C dried blueberries
2 T milk/cream
zest and juice of 1 lemon
  1. Preheat the oven 375°F. In a large bowl, whisk flour, oats, cinnamon, and baking soda.
  2. In a separate bowl, cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add egg and mix until fluffy. Add lemon zest & juice.
  3. Slowly add flour mixture. Add milk if too stiff.
  4. With a wooden spoon, stir in the bluebrries.
  5. Drop tablespoon sized balls of dough on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for 8~10 minutes.

1 comment:

Lisa Allen said...

This reminds me of a recipe I have for blueberry whoopie pies-- 2 cinnamon-y flat cakes with a creamy, fresh blueberry/lemon filling. We are so making them when you come to visit!