Wednesday, April 22, 2009

new treat

My amazing sister, Lisa, just sent me another cute children's heathly eating cookbook (just because she's nice and super thoughtful) that I love to read. And I've been thinking a lot lately about how I can improve the sugary cereal for breakfast situation that Blake is in without having to get up at 5 am with him. And this was the perfect solution. (Except there's kind of a lot of butter in this recipe, so I think I'll try to reduce it a little next time) So thanks, Lisa! Your book will not only help Ella in a couple of months, but it's helping Blake out now! And you should try this recipe out, too.

Cereal Fruit Cupcakes
makes 12
7 T butter
1/3 C honey
1-3/4 C rolled oats
1-3/4 C unsweetened crispy rice cereal
1 T white sesame seeds
1 C mixed dried fruit (I used dried cranberries and apples), chopped
1/3 C toasted cashews (or any other type of nut you want)
  1. Melt the butter and honey in a small pan over low heat.
  2. Mix the rolled oats, crispy rice, sesame seeds, dried fruit, and chopped nuts together in a bowl. Add the melted butter and honey, and stir to combine.
  3. Sponn into a muffin pan lined with peper liners and press down well. Place in the fridge for at least 6 hours.

No comments: