Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Pizza can be healthy?

Blake always says that he could have pizza everyday and he would be a happy man. I, on the other hand, need a break from it once in a while. So last night I said I was making pizza and he was practically jumping for joy. I decided since I don't have a pizza stone yet, and I'm sick of trying to balance the pizza on the bottom of a cookie sheet, I would make deep dish pizza. And since deep dish pizza has such a bad reputation (well, pizzas in genenral) of being junk food, I thought I would try to prove everyone wrong. Yes, deep dish pizza has a lot of bread per serving, so you can't eat a whole pizza if you're trying to watch your weight. But I made my own dough, so I know what goes in it, my own sauce, which has little oil in it, and I used Italian turkey sausage, green bell peppers, sliced black olives, broccoli, and 2% milk hormone-free kraft brand mozzarella cheese. I sprayed a round cake pan with canola oil spray, and formed the dough into it, some sauce, some cheese, lots of toppings, 450° oven, 12 minutes. Perfect deep dish pizza. Not greasy. Not bad, right? And it was TASTY! So I'm really enjoying my leftovers right now.

No comments: