Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Best Banana Bread

I have always loved banana bread, but I've never had the perfect kind. They're always a little too dry or too dense or too crumbly. So, I combined and altered some of the best looking recipes I could find and made the ultimate banana bread recipe.


My Banana Bread
makes 3-9x5 pans of bread
crumb topping:
1/3 c. brown sugar
2T flour
1t cinnamon
1T butter (still cold)
  1. combine brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon
  2. cut the butter into the mixture until corn meal consistency
  3. sprinkle on bread batter in the bread pan
Bread batter:
cinnamon sugar (to dust the greased pans)
1 C brown sugar
1 C white sugar
3 XL eggs
7 really ripe bananas (mashed)
1 (16 oz) container (I use light) sour cream
1 T vanilla (or as much as you want ... I like a lot)
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
3 t baking soda
4 1/2 C flour
3/4 C butter room temperature
  1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Grease pans, dust with cinnamon sugar.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter & sugar. Mix in eggs, bananas, sour cream, vanilla, & cinnamon.
  3. Slowly mix in salt, baking soda, flour. Pour into pans.
  4. Sprinkle tops with crumb mixture.
  5. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserting.
  6. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
*you could also add one box of instant vanilla pudding to the batter to make it extra "vanilla-ey" and moist

2 comments:

Brie said...

Banana Bread is my absolute favorite! I can't wait to try this recipe.

PS- I love that you have this site! You may even inspire me to start my own!

The Voice of Reason said...

Just tried this recipe the other day - LOVED IT. Thanks!